Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy (CLSM)
|October 22, 2017||Filled under Com II||
established in 2015 (Potsdam)
The objective of the Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy working group (CLSM WG) was to investigate applications of confocal laser scanning microscopy in organic petrology. The working group was established within the ICCP Commission II in 2015 at the ICCP Meeting in Potsdam and finalized during the 2021 ICCP Meeting in Prague. The WG was open to all interested persons with an access to confocal laser scanning microscopes.
Confocal laser scanning microscopy (CLSM) has been applied to the petrology of sedimentary organic matter since the late 1990s (e.g., Wang et al., 1997; Stasiuk, 1999a,b; Stasiuk et al.,1998; Stasiuk and Sanei, 2001; Liu and Xiao,1991; Stasiuk and Fowler, 2004; Xiao et al., 2002; Munoz and Mikula, 2002; Bourdet et al., 2010; Hongwei et al., 2010; Kuili et al., 1999; Kus et al., 2012; Kus, 2015). Primary applications include non-destructive 2-D and 3-D imaging at high resolution. Fluorescence spectroscopy using CLSM has been applied as a thermal maturity parameter and showed strong agreement with results from conventional fluorescence microscopy (Hackley et al., 2013; Hackley and Kus, 2015). CLSM also was used to investigate fluorescence emission as a function of excitation laser wavelength, sample orientation, and with respect to location within individual organic entities and in transects across bedded organic matter (Hackley et al., 2020), and as a tool for better understanding of the nature of the bituminite maceral (Hackley et al., 2022). These studies have suggested qualitative and quantitative applications of CLSM have broad and underutilized potential within the field of coal and organic petrology.
Interested parties are encouraged to contact the former conveners of the working group Paul Hackley (email@example.com) and Jolanta Kus (firstname.lastname@example.org) to find out more about applications of confocal laser scanning microscopy in organic petrology.
- ICCP Meeting, Potsdam – Proposal for CLSM WG in Commission II
- Proposal to establish new ICCP WG in the Commission II – ICCP News No. 63 November 2015
- Survey for CLSM WG
- ICCP Meeting, Houston – Presentation of summary of activities
- 2016 Report of the CLSM WG – ICCP News No. 66 December 2016
- ICCP Meeting, Bucharest – Presentation of summary of activities
- ICCP Meeting, Brisbane – Presentation of summary of activities
- ICCP Meeting, The Hague – Presentation of summary of activities
- Presentation at TSOP Meeting, Bloomington – Presentation of progress in CLSM research for organic petrology’
- Hackley et al 2020 IJCG (non ICCP members please contact Paul Hackley, email@example.com)
- ICCP Meeting, Prague – Presentation of summary of activities
- Update from CLSM WG – ICCP News No. 79 May 2021
- 2021 Final Report of the CLSM WG
1. Hackley et al 2022 IJCG
2. Finalization of CLSM WG – ICCP News No. 82 April 2022
3. “ICCP Meeting, New Delhi – Finalization of WG activities