Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy (CLSM)
|October 22, 2017||Filled under Com II||
The objective of the Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy working group (CLSM WG) is to investigate applications of confocal laser scanning microscopy to organic petrology. The working group was established within the ICCP Commission II in 2015 at the ICCP Meeting in Potsdam. The WG is open to all interested persons with an access to confocal laser scanning microscopes. Confocal laser scanning microscopy (CLSM) has been applied to the petrology of sedimentary organic matter since the late 1990s (e.g., Wang et al., 1997; Stasiuk, 1999a,b; Stasiuk et al.,1998; Stasiuk and Sanei, 2001; Liu and Xiao,1991; Stasiuk and Fowler, 2004; Xiao et al., 2002; Munoz and Mikula, 2002; Bourdet et al., 2010; Hongwei et al., 2010; Kuili et al., 1999; Kus et al., 2012; Kus, 2015). Primary applications include non-destructive 2-D and 3-D imaging at high resolution. Fluorescence spectroscopy using CLSM has also been applied as a thermal maturity parameter and shows strong agreement with results from conventional fluorescence microscopy (Hackley et al., 2013; Hackley and Kus, 2015). These studies suggest qualitative and quantitative application of CLSM may have broad and underutilized potential within the field of coal and organic petrology.
Interested members are encouraged to contact working group conveners: Paul Hackley (email@example.com) and Jolanta Kus (firstname.lastname@example.org) to participate.
- ICCP Meeting, Potsdam – Proposal for CLSM WG in Commission II
- Proposal to establish new ICCP WG in the Commission II – ICCP News No. 63 November 2015
- Survey for CLSM WG
- ICCP Meeting, Houston – Presentation of summary of activities
- 2016 Report of the CLSM WG – ICCP News No. 66 December 2016
- ICCP Meeting, Bucharest – Presentation of summary of activities
- ICCP Meeting, Brisbane – Presentation of summary of activities
- ICCP Meeting, The Hague – Presentation of summary of activities
- Presentation at TSOP Meeting, Bloomington – Presentation of progress in CLSM research for organic petrology’
- ICCP Meeting, Prague – Presentation of summary of activities
- Update from CLSM WG – ICCP News No. 79 May 2021
- 2021 Final Report of the CLSM WG